Monsignor Hawes Heritage Trail
Morawa is located centrally in the recently rediscovered Monsignor Hawes Heritage Trail. In all, Monsignor Hawes was the architect and in a lot of cases, builder of more than 15 beautiful and unusual churches in the Midwest and Murchison regions.
There is worldwide interest in the heritage trail, each church different with it’s own particular characteristics. Monsignor Hawes continued his work when he was transferred from his Australian parishes and posted to the Bermudas and other countries.
Holy Cross Catholic Church
In the early days, before the Church was built, Mass was celebrated by visiting priests from New
Norcia, Tardun, Mullewa, Three Springs and Geraldton in the Morawa homes of C. Cole, T. Kramer and S Valentine.
The Central Hall and the old Morawa Hall that were venues for the Mass, also Baptisms and Weddings. At Gutha, Mass was celebrated in the homes of Joseph Tobin, Ted Ramsay in the old RSL Hall and the Gutha Hall.
Dean Hawes rode his bicycle from Mullewa to the Morawa district, stopping to chat, or say Mass or prayers with the lonely men who led an isolated existence on their new blocks of land. He would then ride on to Yalgoo and say Mass and back home to Mullewa.
More information on the Holy Cross Catholic Church.
St David's Anglican Church
The first services ever held in the Morawa district were conducted by the Rev. E.W. Grosser, Rector of Mingenew from 1912-1916. These services were held in 1914 and 1915 in South Morawa, Merkanooka and Pintharuka, the rector travelling by horse and sulky. At Merkanooka, the Agar home was usually used for services. Subsequently, services were taken by rectors of Mullewa, namely Rev. H.R. Hobbs (1922-24), Rev. H.R. Longmore (1924-25) and Rev. B. Pratt (1926-29).
In December 1929, the Rev. Dalis James Davies arrived from Wales to be the first resident Rector of Morawa, services then being held in the old town hall. A rectory was built for his arrival and then an intensive effort made to raise funds for the church.
It was resolved to build the church in stone, plans were drawn up and submitted by Eales, Cohen and Bennett, approved by the Committee and tenders called. Eventually, the lowest tender of 655 pounds from Gamble and Son was accepted and plans went ahead.
More information on St David's Anglican Church.