"Eligible Pensioners" who hold: a Pension Concession Card issued by Centrelink, the Department of Veterans Affairs or State Concession Card and are in receipt of an eligible pension, or a State Seniors Card and a Commonwealth Seniors Heath Card and who meet certain criteria are entitled to claim a concession of up to 50% of the current year’s rates or a deferment of Council rates. Only applicants who are entitled to receive a full 50 % rebate can defer their rates.

"Eligible Seniors" who hold only a Seniors Card and who meet certain criteria are entitled to claim a concession of up to 25% of the current year’s rates, where the rebate is limited to a maximum amount.

Pensioners and Senior Cardholders must also have been owners of the property on 1 July of the rating year and reside upon the property as their normal place of residence. Concessions only apply once an application is received and registered by the Council or the Water Corporation.

A Pro-rata rates rebate may be available from the date of registration of either Pensioners or Seniors who become eligible after 1 July in a rating year. To be eligible for a pro-rata rebate contact should be made with Council’s rating staff. In the event that you have unpaid rates arrears at the time of seeking registration it will be necessary for you to pay the arrears before being entitled, or in extenuating circumstances you may be able to enter into a contractual agreement to repay the arrears.

When a ratepayer is registered as an entitled pensioner or senior and ceases to be so entitled, you are required to give notice to the Council and there upon your registration will be cancelled.

Any person who willfully makes a false statement in an application made pursuant to this section or who remains registered knowing that they are not qualified to be so registered is guilty of an offence (Penalty $1,000.00)

If you are an eligible* pensioner or senior who currently does not claim the rebate, you can apply through the Water Corporation, even if you are not a Water Corporation customer. To apply go online click here or telephone 1300 659 951. This is effective for both Local Government and Water Rates. 

* To be eligible you must own and reside in the residential property for which you are claiming the rebate and hold the relevant concession cards.