Frequently Asked Questions. 

The purpose of this 'Frequently Asked Questions' page is to provide answers to the questions most commonly asked by the public.

Caravan Park

Q- Can I make a booking for Powered/ Unpowered Sites?

A- No, we don't take bookings for powered or unpowered sites; they work on a first come first serve basis. Our Caravan Park has 21 powered and watered sites, 3 of which do not have grey water sewage. For unpowered sites, there is 2 acres of land available at the Caravan Park with plenty of overflow parking.

Q- What facilities are in the Chalets and Units? 

A- Our 2 bedroom Chalets (Canna & Koolanooka) have a lounge/dining area, bathroom, laundry with a kitchenette which contains a fridge, stove and oven as well as utensils. Koolanooka Chalet is designed for wheelchair access. The 1 bedroom Chalets (Morawa, Gutha, Merkanooka and Pintharuka) have a queen bed, bathroom and a small fridge, microwave, toaster and a kettle with tea and coffee provided. All units amd chalets also contain reverse cycle air conditioner and a Television. Click here for more information on Chalets/ Units or to Book.

Q- Can I get a tax receipt from the Caravan Park?

A- Tax Receipts for powered and unpowered sites can only be given if payment is made at the Shire Office. If paying at the Caravan Park, you will only be able to receive an eftpos receipt.  Tax Receipts for chalets and units can be printed from the booking platform once payment has been completed.

Q- Can I pay on arrival?

A- You can pay on arrival for powered and unpowered sites (Please keep in mind if you require a Tax Receipt then you will need to pay at the Shire Office). Unfortunately, we do not take payment on arrival for Units and Chalets, they must be paid in advance. A booking for a Unit or Chalet will not be made without payment details.  Click here to book a Chalet/ Unit     

Q- Is there someone at the Caravan Park who can help me?

A- There is an office at the Caravan Park that is intermittently manned, otherwise you can contact our Care taker Robert on 0460598945 if you have any queries.

Q- If no one is at the Caravan Park or Shire Office how will I pay?

A- There is an honor box system that is located next to the Caravan Park Office. Please fill out the necessary paperwork there and place the paperwork and the money into a zip lock bag and place it into the red box. Please note this does not apply for the chalets and units only powered and unpowered sites.    

Q- Does the Caravan Park take Eftpos or Cash?

A- The Caravan Park takes both Cash and Eftpos.

Q- Does the Caravan Park Sell/ Provide Food?

A-  Unfortunately we do not. You can purchase groceries from either Morawa IGA or Morawa Traders/ Bottle Shop. Meals can be purchased from the Morawa Hotel/Motel or Wildflour Bakery and Cafe (Roadhouse). Please contact for opening hours and availability. Click here to be transferred to our Business Directory for Contact Details.

Q- Is there a camp kitchen? If so, what does it provide?

A- Yes, there is a camp kitchen at the Caravan Park. There are cooking and eating utensils available. As well as a toaster, fridge and sink and BBQ's. The utensils are located in the Kitchen Fridge. 

Locations Around Town

Q- Where can I buy Food in Town?

A- You can purchase groceries from either Morawa IGA or Morawa Traders/ Bottle Shop. Meals can be purchased from the Morawa Hotel/Motel or Wildflour Bakery and Cafe (Roadhouse). Please contact for opening hours and availability. Click here to be transferred to our Business Directory for Contact Details.

Q-Where is the Caravan Park Located?

A- The Morawa Caravan Park is located on 50 White Ave, Morawa, on the street around the corner from the Shire Office. Morawa Caravan Park Location

Q- Where is the Shire Depot?

The Shire depot is located on 153 Valentine Street, Morawa.

Q- Where is the Refuse and Transfer Station (Rubbish Tip)

A- The Morawa Refuse Site and Transfer Station is located on Jones Lake Road in Morawa. Jones Lake Road is located South of Morawa opposite the Morawa-Three Springs Road. Opening hours are- Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 8.00am to 4.00pm, closing from 12-12.30pm on these days. Click here for more information

Morawa Cemetery

Q- What are the sizes of spaces on your Niche Wall?

A-Single- 220mm x 130mm, Double 280mm x 130mm and Large 410mm x 225mm. For More Information Click Here

Q- How can I order a Plaque for the Niche Wall, what do you have available?

A- You will need to complete the below forms and bring them to the Morawa Shire Administration Office for payment and lodgement.

Application for Monumental Work

Application for Interment

Approval for Monumental Works

You can view the selection guide from Everlon below as well as an order form for a Niche Wall Plaque

Everlon Selection Guide

Everlon Plaque and Ceramic Photo Order Form

Q- How do I go about erecting a Headstone at the Morawa Cemetery?

A- You will need to complete the below forms and bring in to the Shire Administration Office for lodgement and payment.

Application for Monumental Work

Approval of Monumental works

Q- Can I reserve a Burial Plot or a Niche Wall Space at the Morawa Cemetery?

A- Yes you can, you will need to complete the below form and bring into the Shire Administration Office for lodgement and payment.

Niche Wall Plot Reservation Form

Burial Plot Reservation Form

Department of Transport

Q- Can I sit my computerised test for my HR or above license  or sit my Practical Driving Assessment at the Shire Office?

A- You can sit your computerised test at the Shire Office, however, the Practical Driving Assessment will need to be completed at a registered location as we do not provide the vehicles to complete the Driving Assessments for these vehicle classes. For more information see the Department of Transport website. 

Q- Can I get a Temporary Moving Permit at the Shire Office

A- Yes you can. Please ensure you bring all the information required about your vehicle, your points of Identity and the location in which you are going. More information can be found on the Department of Transport Website.

Q-Do I need to book to sit a Computer Theory Test or a Hazard Perception Test?

A- Bookings are not required for these tests, you can come into the Shire Office any time before 3:00pm Monday - Friday to sit the tests. Fees will Apply.

Public Library

Q- How many books can I borrow at any one time?

A- You can borrow up to 8 books per person at any one time.

Q- How long can the books be borrowed for?

A- You can borrow the books for a maximum of 2 weeks.

Q- What happens if I damage or lose a book?

A- You will be required to pay the replacement cost for the book.

Q- Can I custom order books if you do not have them in the Library?

A- Absolutely, All you need to do is speak to the staff at the Shire Office. There is a form that must be completed and then we can order the requested book in for you.


Q-Can I get printing done at the Shire Office?

A- Yes you can. Click here for Printing Fees

Rubbish Collection

Q- What day is the residential Rubbish collection?

A- Every Thursday. Please make sure you bin is out on the verge the night before.

Q- Is there a fee to enter the Rubbish Tip ( Refuse and Transfer Station)?

A- No, It is free to enter

Q- Can I dispose of asbestos at the Refuse and Transfer Station?

A-Due to capacity issues the Shire of Morawa Landfill will no longer receive asbestos. It is important to note that asbestos can only be disposed of at licenced locations, by licenced personnel.

Event Facilities

Q- What facilities can be hired out for events?

A- We have several Facilites you can hire, depending on the size of your event. These include the Oval Function Room, Morawa Town Hall and Lesser Town Hall, The Recreation Centre and Gutha Hall. We also have numerous parks within the Shire many with Water Fountains, Playgrounds and BBQ Facilities.

Q- How much is it to hire a facility?

A- Click here for Facility Hire Fees and Charges. Please be aware that most facilities require a booking form, these can be picked up from the Shire Administration Front Desk or on or website Click here for Hire Forms

Q- Do you provide any in house catering for events?

A- No, unfortunately we do not. You can contact one of our local hospitality businesses for more information on catering options.

Click here for Morawa Business Directory

Morawa Community Gym

Q- How much does a membership cost?

A- For Membership fees and more information about the Community Gym Click Here

Q- How old do you have to be to join the Community Gym?

A- You must be 18 years or older. If you are under 18 and wanted to join the gym, you will be required to have approval from the Shire CEO. If you are requesting approval please ensure you bring all workout plans, proof of previous gym memberships and reasons for wanting membership. If successful you will require to always have adult supervision when using the Community Gym.

Gun Licenses

Q- Can I get/ renew my Gun License at the Shire Office?

A- No, Applications and renewals are all done at the Post Office.

Local Business Phone Numbers

Q- I am looking for a Phone Number for a Local Business

A- For contact details of local Health Services, Schools and Education, Clubs, Businesses and Emergency Contacts Click Here