Morawa Town Centre Heritage Trail

The Shire of Morawa contains a number of places of cultural heritage value which are identified within the Shire’s Municipal Heritage Inventory (MHI) and Heritage List as detailed on the Local Heritage Information page.

All places contained within the MHI have been assigned a level of significance and management category. Those places identified as having the greatest significance (Category 1 and 2) are also included within the Shire of Morawa’s Heritage List.

A Heritage Place may be a building, structure, site, tree, area of land or other physical element valued for its cultural (or historic) heritage significance, together with associated contents and surrounds. The nature of the significance of a Heritage Place may be for aesthetic, historic, scientific, rarity or social significance to the local history of the area.

A number of these Heritage Places have been grouped to form the Morawa Town Centre Heritage Trail.

Length: 4km(s) (Is Loop)
Time: 60-90 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Drive Trail
Historical Site
Public Toilet
Walk Trail

Points of Interest

The first services ever held in the Morawa district were conducted by the Rev. E.W. Grosser, Rector of Mingenew from 1912-1916. These services were held in 1914 and 1915 in South Morawa, Merkanooka and Pintharuka, the rector travelling by horse and sulky. At Merkanooka, the Agar home was usually used for services. Subsequently, services were taken by rectors of Mullewa, namely Rev. H.R. Hobbs (1922-24), Rev. H.R. Longmore (1924-25) and Rev. B. Pratt (1926-29).

In December 1929, the Rev. Dalis James Davies arrived from Wales to be the first resident Rector of Morawa, services then being held in the old town hall. A rectory was built for his arrival and then an intensive effort made to raise funds for the church.

It was resolved to build the church in stone, plans were drawn up and submitted by Eales, Cohen and Bennett, approved by the Committee and tenders called. Eventually, the lowest tender of 655 pounds from Gamble and Son was accepted and plans went ahead.

More information on St David's Anglican Church.

Holy Cross Catholic Church

A Church was needed, so plans were drawn up by Dean Hawes. Stone quarried from the farms of T Neagle and G Agar was carted by Messrs Hancock, Regan and Hall. Mr Bill Owman was the builder, and with Dean Hawes’s supervision, the foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Geraldton, J P O’Collins, on December 18, 1932, on Lot 150 Davis Street, Morawa.

Mr Thomas Leo Bradley became the Secretary for the Parish. With the help of M Neagle, M White, T Bradley, N Gill, C Cole, G White, S Valentine, J Powell, T Kramer and P Haddock and families. It is certain we shall never know the many fund raising raffles, picnics, dances and other functions which were held to culminate in the opening of the Church.

Dean Hawes built the Hermitage (or Presbytery) in 1933, as his residence. This little building is distinct and stands adjacent to the Church.

A small pedal organ had been purchased and a choir comprising Mr Peter Haddock, Mrs V Francis, Mrs Molly White, Mrs Nora Powell and Mrs M Neagle, with Mrs Monty White as organist practised regularly at Mrs Monty White’s home. Masses composed by Dom Moreno were sung. It was at one of the choir practices on the 1st June 1933 that the new church linen was viewed. The kind donor was Mother Vincent O.P. on behalf of the Dongard Dominican Convent.

On 2nd July 1933, the Church was opened by Bishop J.P. O’Collins. There were two masses celebrated, the first for the Committee who had catered for 130 guests, and capably managed when a further 100 appeared. The banquet was held in the old Morawa Hall and help was given by many people, no matter what religion was followed.

More information is on the Monsignour Hawes Church page.

Museum and Old Police Station

The Morawa District Historical Society was first formed in May 1973. Its main objective was to retain a historical record of the district. Relocation of the original Old Gaol and Courthouse, in 1975, from Stokes Road to its current position, in Prater Street, was one of the first projects undertaken. Unfortunately the original horse stables associated with this building had been removed.

The Old Gaol and Courthouse now forms the centrepiece of the Morawa Museum. The Museum houses a truly remarkable collection of windmills as well as examples of vintage farm machinery and equipment.

The windmill collection is renowned world wide and is the subject of The Windmill Journal. This publication is produced quarterly by the Morawa District Historical Society and is distributed world wide.

Open hours Monday-Saturday 9.30am-4.00pm.
Also open Sundays by appointment through the Tourist Centre.

Address Corner of Prater and Gill St.

Phone 08 9971 1777 or
Tourist Information Centre 08 9971 1421

For more information visit the Morawa District Historical Society website.

Heritage Trail Markers

Heritage Trail signage can be found in the below locations;

  • Morawa Museum
  • St David's Church
  • Old Council Administration and Chambers Building
  • Near the Information Bay on Winfield Street
  • Along the town centre park adjacent to Winfield Street

Heritage Trail Window Images

There are multiple photos windows through the town centre installed as a feature of the Heritage Heritage Trail.

These locations are;

  • Along Winfield Street shop fonts between White Avenue and Davis Street
  • Along Solomon Terrace between Evans Street and Manning Road


Back to Maps